Implied warranty of routability? Was: Re: US CODE: Title 15, ...

Karl Auerbach karl at CAVEBEAR.COM
Fri Jan 31 19:35:17 EST 1997

> >>    One side point: there is nothing to my knowledge that insures
> >>    that ARIN (or any other organization) is allocated "routable"
> >>    address space.  Certainly, the policies of the various Internet
> >>    providers need to be considered when performing allocations,
> >>    but there no authority which can dictate "thou shall route this"
> >>    to the Internet provider community.

If ARIN does not promise coordination with routing, then I would submit
that ARIN can not complain should some collection of ISPs decide to start
selling net numbers, uncordinated with ARIN, for which they will advertise
and exchange routing information.

Of course chaos will result.  But just like the Alternic proposals in the
domain name context, this kind of rogue activity is a foreseeable response
to the ARIN proposal, especially as ARIN choses not to guarantee that the
numbers it issues will be usable.

This could, in some perverse sense, ultimately be a good thing, since it
would force us to deal with some troublesome issues, but the interim would
be very, very bad.

			--karl--