Confusing Name Space with Address Space a nd Technical routing issues, and the LAND RUSH of '97.

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at CLARK.NET
Wed Jan 29 17:31:24 EST 1997

At 1:10 PM -0800 1/29/97, Stephen Satchell wrote:
>At 2:07 AM 1/29/97, Mark Richmond wrote:
>>< offtopic >
>>I am compelled to offer the following observation:
>>
>>Casual use of the terms 'grok' and / or 'grody' is grounds for immediate
>>inclusion in the "internet intelligentsia".
>>
>>Whether or not this is a *good * thing is up to the observer.
>
>Just for the record, my 14 years as a magazine writer has conditioned me
>not to use "in" terms, which is why some people might get the idea that I'm
>clueless.  Lack of use of insider-speak should not be an indicator.

I grok that this was a tongue in cheek remark.

>Also, the use of insider terms can be used as a way of building a wall
>between insiders and the rest of the world, and that rest of the world can
>include the sugar daddies who fund the startup of ISPs.  Not a good thing
>to separate yourself from your fund sources, eh?

Insider slang is one thing. Insider jargon may actually have a benefit of
precise meaning.

>I might ask some of you who use the term "grok" if you know the SOURCE of
>the word and its first usage?  (Being an RAH fan, I already know the
>answer, and the key words are "Mike" and "Man From Mars".)

Some of us may identify more with Jubal, and ethanol brotherhood.

I insist, however, that I have never implemented routing on a Babbage machine.