Oppose more ISP fees

Rol Murrow [ IJD in CT ] 72450.3066 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Mon Jan 27 19:03:50 EST 1997

Greetings to all on the internic mailer, especially to those who were kind
enough to contact me!

I have pasted below the message which I received which led to my writing my
comments, sent several days ago.  I did not know that I was sending them to a
mailing list, nor did I realize that a continuing discussion had been taking
place among you all.  My comments were based solely on the attached message!

One respondent accused me of bad manners in commenting without checking out
the list - of which I was blissfully unaware.  I will apologize for my
ignorance.  If it turns out I have bad manners, then I'll apologize for
them, too!

However, except for a couple of VERY WELCOME constructive comments I have
received primarily a number of seemingly overheated criticisms of my message,
with little information leading me to other conclusions.

I stand behind my underlying intent of supporting the lowest possible cost
for access to the internet and for registration of domain names, both for
users and for ISP's.  If my comment was inappropriate, I apologize, but it
was based on what I learned in the attached message.

One respondent indicated he felt that the volunteer groups I work with must
be pretty marginal if they can't afford the costs of registering a domain,
and he quoted a very low figure for the cost ($50/year).

However, several days ago a local ISP quoted me $150 setup charge plus
$25/month maintenance to register a domain name for a nonprofit, all
volunteer group which helps organize communities following disasters.  This
$450 for the first year was on top of the actual dialup access charges.  I
was told that almost all that cost was simply being passed on from the powers
that be that are in charge of domain registration.  If this was BS, then I
was acting on false info and would be pleased to know what ISP's are really
charged for domain name registration and maintenance.

That respondent also seemed to question the value of the service provided by
groups that have such budget restraints.  Actually, while there are a few
exceptions, most of the groups are composed entirely of volunteers paying for
the group's expenses out of their own pockets and avoiding extensive
fund-raising efforts and paid staffs.  Every penny counts.  The services they
provide include arranging airplane transportation for needy patients who
can't afford air charter and can't travel long distances by auto, but who may
live in rural areas and need transport to large medical facilities in the
cities for diagnosis or treatment.  Other missions include emergency organ
and tissue transport from areas without air service, disaster relief, and
animal counts for nonprofit agencies.  The air transport itself is likewise
provided by volunteer pilots who donate their time and their planes, or the
costs to rent a plane, out of their own pockets.

The transportation aids thousands of patients a year and many others needing
these services.  I think keeping the costs down for and promoting the work of
these worthy and caring folks are perfectly reasonable objectives.

The attached message seems to indicate some hefty new, additional charges for
ISP's.  My comment was meant to oppose them and I was trying to support the
small providers.  Sorry if my good intents were misdirected.

That message follows FYI.  Please don't send me any more direct email
messages.  I will check out the site and comment further if needed.  If you
want to learn more about the Air Care Alliance, please check out our web page
maintained by Angel Flight of Florida, at

      http://www.angelflightfla.org/aircareall.org/acahome.html

The site provides links to several of the groups which have their own web
sites, too, and to the national 800 number we use to direct inquiries.

I would be very happy to hear of any suggestions to help get more of these
groups online and up and running with their own sites at minimum possible
cost, and regarding the least expensive way of getting a domain name
registered.

Thanks and best wishes to you all,

     Rol Murrow,  Chairman, Air Care Alliance      Storrs, CT

>From   "Mark Wexler", INTERNET:mwexler at interaccess.net

Date   1/16/97  5:50 PM

RE     Fw ISP assigned number fees

----End Forwarded Message(s)----