Oppose more ISP fees

Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU
Mon Jan 27 11:54:58 EST 1997

On 26 Jan 1997 00:35:02 EST, you said:
> Additional fees are unnecessary and completely contrary to the interests of
> the public in expanding public access through the internet.  I am involved
> with more than thirty struggling volunteer-based public service
> organizations, most of which already find the domain name registration costs
> to be excessive.  In effect, high costs prevent them from developing public
> exposure on the internet, to the great detriment of the public in learning
> about such valuable services.

Hmm.. let's see.  30+ organizations, and *most* of them find $50/year
for a domain name to be difficult?  How do they manage to pay their
ISP for access so they can USE the domain name?  If they are that
strapped for cash, what "valuable services" are they going to be able
to provide?

If the organization is running so close to the edge that $50/year is a
major crunch, perhaps they need to either investigate new fundraising
methods, or re-examine the scale of their mission.  In either case, I
doubt that even with a full 100% rebate from the DNS people, that such
organizations are going to make it. In any case, that's a matter to
discuss with the folks at NSI, not at ARIN.

Not that most volunteer organizations *dont* have a constant struggle
for fiscal survival, but this particular claim really sounds like a
red herring to me.  Now, if the appeal was for a break for non-profits
who were big enough and active enough to benefit from multi-homing,
then I'd be willing to listen a bit more....

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Engineer