Perpetuating IPv4?

Stephen Satchell satchell at ACCUTEK.COM
Sun Jan 26 00:26:27 EST 1997

At 1:57 AM 1/25/97, Aveek Datta wrote:
>I've looked over the new proposal and website, and overall I also feel
>that its definitely a great improvment over the original one. However
>one question still remains. Isn't ARIN's plan perpetuating IPv4 and
>the starvation of IPs that will result? While I do not personally know
>much about IPv6 or IPv8, it does seem that at least the former is coming
>of age and might be useable in the not so far future.
>
>Is ARIN's plan to continue to 'stick' with IPv4 as long as possible,
>basically "rationing" out IP addresses? Or is there any plans to switch
>to systems with less starvation problems?
>
>I apologize if I'm missing a crucial step here; my knowledge of IP comes
>from discussions on domain names that go off-topic. :)

The ARIN proposal is for an organization which is to be created in the
short term.  IPng (IP Next Generation) is further out on the planning
horizon.

---
Stephen Satchell, Satchell Evaluations
http://www.accutek.com/~satchell for contact info
Opinions expressed are my own PERSONAL opinions.