[NAIPR] ARIN Proposal

Stephen Satchell satchell at ACCUTEK.COM
Sun Jan 26 00:26:40 EST 1997

At 1:09 AM 1/25/97, Michael Dillon wrote:
>That should be "reserve" not allocate. And the reservation would need a
>time limit on it after which the reserved space could be allocated to
>someone else. There would need to be more than just a business plan but
>also some solid basis in fact such as bank loan documents, signed P.O.'s
>for routers and other equipment, signed customer contracts, etc. You can't
>just do this based on somebody's nice looking document. This is not an
>easy problem to solve because as you may know, the vast majority of new
>business startups fail within the first year. ISP's have not been
>following that rule of thumb for a while now because of some very unique
>circumstances. But the times they are a-changing and we are getting into a
>more normal situation where people with big plans run around trying to
>get a business to fly and end up flopping. The rules can't be based on the
>aberrations of the past 3 years.

Can we then make the same requirement of the not-for-profit organization
that is going to administer the Registry?  That is, must they show their
IRS acceptace letter, bank loan documents, signed POs for routers and other
equipment, signed customer contracts, &c?  After all, what's good for the
goose...

(This is only a half-joking statement.  While the credentials of the
proposed Trustees look good, I notice that all discussion of having the
MEMBERS vote for the people has gone by the wayside.  I'm not sure why.
Indeed, why should the Board of Advisors get into the act?  Do we *really*
need the Electorial College?)

---
Stephen Satchell, Satchell Evaluations
http://www.accutek.com/~satchell for contact info
Opinions expressed are my own PERSONAL opinions.