ARIN Proposal

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Thu Jan 23 22:45:05 EST 1997

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

> Note that *colluding* to create a business practice which penalizes a
> company in this fashion can be seriously ugly if someone decides to chase
> it.  If you create these situations, you're ASKING to be chased, and if you
> do so in a collusive format you're asking for the Government to get involved.

Which government? Canada? Bermuda? Cuba?

> I WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO ANY SUCH ORGANIZATION.  I don't want to end up
> being named in a RICO suit, and that's PRECISELY the concern that I have
> in this regard.

While some people might like to dismiss this entirely I think it is a
serious issue that needs to be considered and I think that ARIN needs to
budget an appropriate amount of money to retain a legal firm on an ongoing
basis to advise the directors and employees regarding antitrust. And there
needs to be an appropriate level of liability insurance purchased as well
which takes into consideration the triple damages that RICO suits can lead
to.

> fashion.  It is in EVERYONE'S best interest to make sure that doesn't happen
> by having ARIN be completely above question when it comes to policy matters,
> board constitution, etc.

Right.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049