NUMBERING REALLY BIG NETW

Jeff Binkley jeff.binkley at asacomp.com
Thu Jan 23 13:16:00 EST 1997

HC>Perhaps stepping back a bit, and looking at other context, helps. I
HC>will look at two other contexts  in this note, and hope they add
HC>perspective.

HC>I like to ask people, "what's the biggest network in the worlds?"
HC>Many people answer "the Internet."  "The US military" is the most
HC>common alternative answer.

HC>None of these are even close.  It's the international telephone
HC>network (you know, I never looked at it before, but that is a great
HC>name for a conspiracy).  Also important to this discussion is a
HC>"sub-conspiracy" called the North American Numbering Plan.

HC>Look at a telephone number, expanded to include all long-distance and
HC>international prefixes.  It will begin with a national code such as
HC>44 for the UK.  Subordinate to that are city codes in the UK, and
HC>exchange and line numbers in that city.

HC>North American numbers have a 1 country code, and the familiar area
HC>code/exchange/line structure below that.

HC>Telephone routing (switching) operates at the broad levels of
HC>international/major national (continental)/local.  International
HC>carriers interconnect countries; Interexchange Carriers (IXC)
HC>interconnect local areas, and local providers interconnect exchanges
HC>different technical requirements and lines.  There are at each of
HC>different technical requirements these levels, much as there are for
HC>a small ISP that needs to support very good end user dialup, and a
HC>national provider for whom 155 MBPS links (and certainly routers!)
HC>are not fast enough.

HC>Especially due to the advent of new technologies requiring unique
HC>telephone numbers, there has been an extreme demand, especially in
HC>large metropolitan areas, on the telephone number space.  This has
HC>led to certain area codes (e.g., 212, which once covered Manhattan)
HC>to fill up.  There may be space left in Area Code 702 in the deserts
HC>of Nevada, but that isn't usable inside Area Code 212.  Area code 212
HC>has a fixed limit dictated by the 999-9999 phone number structure.

HC>So, there is a practical issue that certain area codes are exhausted.
HC>Telephone  renumbering is a nasty issue for several reasons.

HC>First, if my area code changes, I have to change all my letterheads,
HC>etc.

HC>Second, anyone who has stored my number will have to change it,
HC>whether or not their number has changed or not.

HC>Third, there are several technical ways to introduce new area codes.
HC>The usual way is to split geographic areas, so half the people in
HC>them are affected.  A newer model is "overlay," where additional area
HC>codes are applied to a single geographic area.  The latter model
HC>requires 10-digit dialing for every number inside the local area, but
HC>doesn't force people to change their numbers.  Advantages and
HC>disadvantages to both.

HC>How does this relate to ARIN? There has to be a central registry to
HC>assign area codes.  There is a usually-hidden list of provider codes
> [...]

Howard,

Having worked for the phone company many years, I am very aware of your
comments.  There are a couple of other things to keep in mind when
comparing this to the ARIN proposal.  First, Bellcore was the governing
body which originally setup the North American Numbering plan, which at
that time was solely funded by AT&T, which was a monopoly.  The plan,
while still holding true today, had similar problems with allocations
and limitations.  Those were/are always handled as an enginering issue
and not a monetary one.  800 service brought this to a head as they idea
of portable 800 service and the switching of long distance carriers, for
outbound service, came into issue.  These were some of the main driving
factors for the CCS7 switching system and national 800 database.

The big difference here is that in the telephone world, the current
holders of the keys are the access providers (i.e. RBOCs) and not the
long distance companies.  This is backwards to how the Internet is
currently heading.  As smaller internets develop and local/regional
backbbones grow, I can see the Internet heading the same route.  Then
the whole issue and idea of registries takes on a different focus.

On conclusion I am not sure the idea of a pay-for-admission body such as
ARIN will solve the engineering issues that route consolidation
apparently needs.  I am more concerned that certain groups may decide to
join ARIN so they can leverage their business agendas. Of course because
we don't have and probably don't want something akin to the FCC, there
does need to be some paletable solution.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

CMPQwk 1.42 9999