Scaling ARIN proposal for small ISPs - and economic reality

Stephen Satchell satchell at accutek.com
Thu Jan 23 00:23:35 EST 1997

<OFFTOPIC>

At 10:58 AM 1/22/97, Michael Dillon wrote:
>memra.com is in Canada, iafrica.com is in South Africa. Both these
>countries get IP allocations from the Internic currently.
>
>.com is not a US domain, it is an international domain.

>From Albitz & Liu, _DNS and BIND_, aka "The Cricket Book", page 18:

"You may notice a certain nationalistic prejudice in the examples [of
top-level domain names]:  all of them are primarily US organizations.
That's easier to understand--and forgive--when you remember that the
Internet began as the APRAnet, a US-funded research project."

Elsewhere in the book, there is a discussion of spaces like ".com" in
geographic spaces, such as ".com.au" for an Australian commercial
enterprise.

So please excuse some of us when we believe what *recommended* authors say
about the Internet... :)

</OFFTOPIC>