Scaleable IP

Justin W. Newton justin at EROLS.COM
Thu Jan 23 01:24:53 EST 1997

At 09:05 PM 1/22/97 -0800, Thom Stark wrote:
>Brett L. Hawn asks:
>
>> Not to sound like Mr. Flemming but one thing strikes me as a serious
>> oversight, the lack of thought towards the future. Rather than overprice a
>> non-scalable resource, and basically screw everyone in the process. Why
>> isn't something being done to create something more scalable and useable?
>
>The "something more scalable and useable" to which you refer is IPv6.
>Among other advantages, it offers more usable individual addresses than
>there are molecules in the Solar System.
>
>The problem has been, is and will be one of a chicken-and-egg variety:
>since IPv6 is not downwardly compatible with IPv4, in order to gain
>widespread acceptance, it must be supported by everyone from router
>manufacturers to IP stack vendors to software developers.  The principal
>resistance to IPv6's adoption as a standard has come from Cisco Corp.
>and Microsoft Corp.  Need any more than that statement be said?

There are many people out there who do not believe that IPv6 is the panacea
that you seem to believe it is from your statements.  From my study of the
current RFC's I agree with them.  This being the case there may be valid
reasons why people are fighting adoption of it.  In any case this is off
topic and should go to another list, maybe either alt.conspiracy or the like.

Justin Newton
Network Architect
Erol's Internet Services