ARIN proposal

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Thu Jan 23 00:02:36 EST 1997

> That said, I still don't think that $2500 is an excessive fee for a /19.
> If a provider is large enough to make a commitmant to dual-home, and
> expend the money and the resources to do it correctly, they should be
> large enough to afford the cost.

    I would tend to agree.

    Still, though, the question is, what's the $2500 /for/?  Is it for
running the IN-ADDR.ARPA servers?  Is it for maintaining the database of
contacts, etc?  If so, notwithstanding that I can afford it, it's
overpriced BS.

    If it's to cut down the number of provider-independent CIDR blocks,
and thus the number of routing table entries, then it's doubly BS and
just delaying the inevitable slightly.

    I'd just like to know what paying my money gets me, and if it's too
much money.  Keep in mind, this is a MONOPOLY we're setting up, and worse,
one with no government oversight and not much member oversight.

--
Tim Russell      System Admin, Probe Technology      email: russell at probe.net
   "It has become appallingly clear that mankind's technology has finally