Let's be productive

Bob Van Cleef vancleef at microunity.com
Wed Jan 22 13:04:54 EST 1997

Let's hear it for hubris:

> They will not have to pay a cent to ARIN.  Please read the proposal.

I've read it, and it is void of any of the historical references that would make
it understandable.  It simply floats, out of context, on the net, providing food
for anger, but no nourishment for understanding.  It is great, for a undated
first draft, but that is all that it can be considered.

--------
Let's hear it for arrogance:

> It's known as "aggregation", and everyone on this list that's
> an ISP knows why it's neccessary.  If you don't, then I assume you're here
> to learn, in which case you should lurk more and post less.

Sorry, but there are many ways to allocate/distribute numbers - some more
effective than others, some more desirable than others, but effectiveness
and desirability do not guarantee acceptance.  History shows otherwise.

If something is a "given" than it needs to be stated and linked to ARIN in a
way that people following the rumours on the net will discover it.  Proclaiming
something is "truth" based on discussions buried in some e-mail archive
somewhere is foolish, arrogant, and counterproductive.

--------
Let's talk facts:

As of Jan 22 09:52:39 PST 1997, the ARIN web page http://www.arin.net/index.html
has not been updated to reflect any of the discussions on this forum.  The only
thing new is Jeremiah's reading list at http://idt.net/~jeremiah/  Until some of the
"clarifications" reach publication, the complaints will continue.  Until individuals on
both sides "try to understand" the positions of those on the other side, the arguments
will continue.

Learn to listen.  Learn to place yourself in the other person's position.  Then you will
have learned how to communicate and not to pontificate. Before you post a message,
ask yourself "is this a positive contribution to the discussion?"  That question alone
will cut down on the need for moderation.

Bob
Bob Van Cleef, Systems Administration                      (408) 734-8100
MicroUnity Systems Engineering, Inc.                   FAX (408) 734-8177
255 Caspian Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089-1015       vancleef at microunity.com