Scaling ARIN proposal for small ISPs - and economic reality

James Smallacombe james at pil.net
Wed Jan 22 10:16:57 EST 1997

>-- [ From: David Hakala * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
>> Your analysis has a few fundamental flaws.
>
>A "few?" Egad, I must have been inadvertently sober. :)
>
>> 1.  Most startup ISP's will never deal with the Internic directly.  They
>will
>> get their addresses from their upstream providers and only see the trickle
>down
>
>I keep hearing this, and I keep asking what sense it makes for me to buy my
>most vital resource from my competitors. Just because this is how it *has*
>been doesn't mean it should continue to be so. If ARIN charges fees based on
>individual IP addresses, it could become the truly neutral party in this
>scenario.

You get the address space from where ever you get your connection, be it
a competitor.  It's known as "aggregation", and everyone on this list that's
an ISP knows why it's neccessary.  If you don't, then I assume you're here
to learn, in which case you should lurk more and post less.

>> 3.  The prices are skewed so that it is much more likely that the Mom &
>Pop ISP
>> will want to get the better prices and go with their upstream provider to
>keep
>> block asssignments routing entries minimized.
>
>I don't get it - how are the prices my upstream provider charges guaranteed
>to be lower than those that ARIN charges?

They're not.  Just like the price your upstream provider charges for your
Internet connection is not fixed or guaranteed.  Ever hear of "competition"?

>--
>David Hakala
>Editor In Chief
>Cyber Week
>dhakala at ossinc.net
>303-755-6985

James Smallacombe                    Internet Access for Bucks County
james at pil.net                        And Philadelphia, PA.
PlantageNet Internet Ltd.            http://www.pil.net
"I'll plant Plantagenet, root him up who dares." 3Henry Vi, I,i