Reject the NAIPR

Alan Barrett apb at IAFRICA.COM
Wed Jan 22 03:12:58 EST 1997

Mark Richmond <markr at LIGHTSPEED.NET> said:
> The bottom line, as always, is this: who gets paid, and why?

The folk who do the hard work of vetting applications and allocating
address blocks to entities that qualify, get paid for that hard work.
This is a good idea because the community needs somebody to vet the
applications and allocate the address blocks.

Is it necessary for me to explain that end users and small ISPs will not
need to pay ARIN, because they should be getting their address space
from their upstream providers?  Is it necessary for me to explain that
the upstream providers will be in a position to pass on address space
to their customers at prices at least an order of magnitude lower than
$2500 per /24 prefix, or that typical dialup providers will be in a
position to pass on the cost to their end users at prices of the order
of a few cents per user (once off, not per year), if they bother to pass
the cost on at all?  Is it necessary for me to explain that, even after
it is formed, ARIN is expected to continue to respond to the needs of
the community and to modify its fee structure and allocation policies
accordingly?  Is it necessary for me to point out that RIPE and APNIC
seem to be getting along adequately, with the funding and support of
their respective parts of the community?

Perhaps it is necessary for me to point out that, if ARIN ever loses the
support of the community that it purportedly serves, the community will
just ignore ARIN and makes another plan.  ARIN will not have guns with
which to force an unwilling community to do its bidding.

> If the internet community is to surrender control of such a vital
> resource to anyone in particular (an eventual certainty, at least)
> then why should it nbe this proposal?

ARIN is not about the Internet community surrendering control of
anything.  ARIN is about retaining control of address allocation in the
community, where it belongs, despite the imminent loss of US government
funding for this activity.

--apb (Alan Barrett)

\begin{off-topic}
Messages that contain headers with "'weirdly quoted'" stuff like this:

   Cc: "'aop at cris.com'" <aop at cris.com>,
       "'naipr at lists.internic.net'" <naipr at lists.internic.net>

and lines longer than 450 characters, do not enhance the reputation of
the folk who post such messages.
\end{off-topic}