My Opinion on IP Addresses

Justin M. Geering jmg at INTERKAN.NET
Tue Jan 21 11:53:53 EST 1997

To whom it may concern,
                (please read this through and let me know what you think)
        I am a small ISP administrator in Kansas and I am appalled at the actions
that are taking place behind closed doors. What ARIN is proposing could
make our break my operation along with hundreds of other Internet Service
providers. My C class bank of IP numbers is crucial for me. I can not
operate without it, and to start charging yearly fees of that magnitude, is
ridiculous. I realize that IP numbers are running out, but why take it out
on us little guys who have no way of paying fees in the ten thousand dollar
range. And another thing, much of the nation's Internet providers are
already by passing many of smaller towns in the nation, if ARIN did this
these place will most likely never get a chance to have access to the
Internet....at least at a fair market price.
         If anything, ARIN should be working on expanding the 255 limit of TCI/IP.
No matter what ARIN does, we will run out of IP addresses under the current
system. You can't stop that. Someone should be working on expanding the
numbers to 999 instead of charging $999.95 for the numbers. Lets face it,
32 bit would not be that hard to change to over the 8 bit coding of the
current system. Hell even 16 bit would vastly improve the number
problem!!!!  (65535.65535.65535.65535 everybody could have their own class
A).  Stop trying to band aid the problem and fix it!
        What I have read sounds like ARIN is proposing to just make a buck on the
Internet and damn the rest of us out here and all the millions of users. If
I have to pay $10,000 for my IP numbers, I am going to have to raise my
prices and pass it on to the customers. And if ARIN does not think that
will stifle the growth of the Internet, they are DEAD wrong. Sounds like
someone would then need to take a basic economics class in college and look
up a word called overhead in the dictionary.
        We in the industry understand the current limits. Look at the new web
servers and browsers that no longer need an individual IP address for each
virtual web domain, that is a great way to save IP addresses. We are doing
our part to conserve IP addresses, what is ARIN doing? Besides looking to
make a buck and ruin free enterprise on the net.
        Anyone who is on the design of this plan that grew up with the Internet
would know that this is totally against everything the Internet originally
ever stood for (and hyped about in the media). Freedom of knowledge. I
totally agree with the Association of Online Professionals in their
fighting this proposal. Obviously whoever is on the ARIN panel is blind or
as monopolistic as some unnamed large software company from the Redmond.

Free your mind....or prepare to fight the power and numbers of the Internet
ARIN....

(the above is not necessarily the opinion of InterKan.Net, Inc. and is
solely the opinion and words of JazzManG)

Justin M. Geering                         www.interkan.net
Web Master                                 Phone: (913) 565-0991
InterKan.Net, Inc.                         Email: jmg at interkan.net