Difficult childhood.

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Tue Jan 21 16:47:38 EST 1997

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Mark Richmond wrote:

> Several of your posts have indicated that you consider the AOP
> unimportant because it is "a bunch of BBS sysops".

No, I think they are doing a disservice to their members by not stepping
beyond being a bunch of BBS sysops and learning how the Internet
infrastructure operates. There is no point in outrageous outcries against
a non-existent Internet emperor. But there is plenty of room for any
organization or individual who wants to educate themselves about how
things operate and then participate as an equal in these and other
discussions.

> I know you know better than that, but I find it interesting that you say
> that even in jest, considering the amount of your own experience and
> background in that area.  Could this be Delayed Stress Syndrome from
> your years as a Maximus BBS Operator?

Two and 1/2 years as sysop of Fidonet 1:353/350

You would be surprised how many ISP's are run by people who started out as
BBS sysops. They did the hard work of learning how to operate in the new
world of the Internet and are understandably annoyed when someone jumps up
and claims to know it all. None of us know it all. That's why things like
the formation of ARIN get discussed in public on a mailing list like this.

It is not unheard of for public commentary to completely change the
direction of an initiative like ARIN. But in order for that to happen it
must be INFORMED commentary.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049