GOOD INTENT AND SOMEW

Jeff Binkley jeff.binkley at asacomp.com
Tue Jan 21 08:38:00 EST 1997

KH>> Gee I would also like to have a shot at becoming a multi
KH>> Millon-air.  I would quit my day job and any other job for a shot
KH>> at this. Greed is an ugly thing.  Who do these guys think they are
KH>> kidding, somebody is going to get rich here.  I wonder how much the
KH>> 5 trustees are going to make from this deal? What if one of the Big
KH>> Guys or may be three MCI Sprint AT&T etc. decide to buy all of the
KH>> address space what do you think an IP address will cost then?
KH>>
KH>> Nathan
KH>>
KH>> Nathan
KH>>

KH>Have you even read the proposal?  If so, you would see that the
KH>Board of Trustees are made up of volunteers.  You would also see
KH>that ARIN will be a *non-profit* organization and you would see that
KH>ARIN will not be selling address space, all of the current
KH>justifications for address space will continue.

I sympathize with your comments but we've got a lot of bad "non-profit"
groups in this country.  Of course there are good ones too.  The problem
is being able to distinguish them.  Also I don't subscribe to the theory
of non-profit != special interest; I believe often times it is.  I am
more concerned about the special interest part of this than the non-
profit portion.  The Internet itself is under attack from many different
aspects right now.  Everything from legel attacks, illegal attacks,
hackers, monetary attacks and more.  It is akin to the wild west and
many folks see an opportunity to make a dime on it.  Now to be able to
do this they must be able to exert some form of power or control over
this "wild west" to be able to influence their method of making money.
My concern is determining where ARIN fits into all of this.  I think our
first reaction is to be skeptical until proof is presented to make us
more fully understand the reasons for the proposal.

Attacking the folks questioning the proposal won't make it more widely
supported and will most likely have the opposite effect.  Also for those
who want to immediately discount arguments from ISPs, I only ask whether
they have tried to run an ISP service in today's market ?  I'd suggest
more time be spent explaining why this proposal is even being put forth
and what problems it hopes to solve.  If there are problems with the
NIC, then let's address them with the NIC and not try to replace it.  If
this proposal is for consolidating/aggregating address spaces then this
is an engineering problem and not an economics problem.  I have yet to
see anyone fully define the problem that this proposal is trying to
solve.

Jeff Binkley
ASA Network Computing

CMPQwk 1.42 9999