ARIN Proposal

David R. Conrad davidc at apnic.net
Tue Jan 21 08:04:51 EST 1997

Karl,

>Therefore, every ISP must be an ARIN "associate" if they have an ounce of
>sense, and they must be able to get those magic /19s (or larger if they can
>justify them).
>
>To fail to provide that on a *level* playing field is going to invite
>lawsuits

Currently within APNIC and RIPE-NCC, if an organization pays the
membersip fees, we allocate (or reserve for) them a /19 block.  While
at APNIC (and I assume RIPE) we do try to discourage everyone (not
just end users) from getting provider independent blocks from the
registry (we have a form letter that says "routers are falling over,
blah blah blah"), we will do so if they insist (and they pay the
membership fee).

In both our cases (not wanting to speak for RIPE-NCC, but I believe this
to be the case -- I'm sure they'll blast me if I'm off base), the fees have
(apparently) had the effect of discouraging smaller ISPs from obtaining
blocks from the registries directly.

Do you consider this a level playing field?

Regards,
-drc