ARIN Proposal

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jan 20 21:14:00 EST 1997

>> 2)      Web servers.  Folks, try forcing all the DNS caches on the net to
>>         flush instantly.  Can't be done.  You WILL screw customers if you
>>         renumber their servers.  The depth of the "screwing" is not under
>>         your control, and will CERTAINLY by more than a full business day.
>>         You WILL lose customers over that event.
> Instantly is a problem. However if the changes are planned you can adjust
> the expire time of DNS downwards in steps so that there are only very
> short term caches to be flushed at the switchover point.

And, for a seamless transition, use an A RRset as opposed to a single A.

>> You WILL lose a BOATLOAD of YOUR customers if you get boxed like this.  The
>> only option you have left as an ISP is to sue the people who are putting
>> you in the box.

Then you just stick the subpoena in the router and everything will be just
fine.  I can recommend a couple other places to stick the subpoenas.

The number of Internet business that have sued into profitability is rather
small.  The number which have clued themselves to profitability is somewhat
larger.

randy