ARIN Proposal

Charles T. Smith, Jr. cts at vec.net
Mon Jan 20 18:55:17 EST 1997

Michael D. Bathrick (prez at berkshire.net) wrote:
> The pricing for this service MUST be brought down to a level that the
> average 'mom & pop' ISP can deal with.  Else expect a major problem with
> getting the folks you are regulating to co-operate.

Perhaps it be useful to define some terms.  What, for example, is the
average 'mom & pop' ISP?   Is it dual or multihomed?  Do they get their
IP allocation directly from the 'Nic now?

I'd offhand guess "No" to both questions;  if that's the case, they most
likly are getting their blocks from an upstream provider instead of the
NIC (or ARIN);  therefore, the fees do not apply to them;  there's nothing
to deal with.

But, perhaps you're concerned that the larger providers will pass along
the costs;  they indeed may;  however, this is where the pricing models
work to your favour;  a few class 'C' blocks - which is what I'd assume
a 'Mom & Pop' might have work out to be fairly inexpensive when part of
a much larger allocation.

It would be useful if you explained, in detail, how the proposed fees will
impact your business.  For example, share what a "typical" mom & pop would
look like, if they are multihomed, where their current address blocks came
from, and what they'll consume, address wise, in the next year or two.

--
Charles T. Smith, Jr.
VecNet, Inc.     cts at vec.net
Vice President, ISP/C