ARIN Proposal

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Mon Jan 20 17:17:52 EST 1997

I'm responding to two positions here. The proposal drafters, as I
understand, have put out a fee structure. Michael Bathrick and others are
saying the fees are too large for them to pay.

To me, there is a problem with both positions.  I do not believe the
initial proposal should have suggested any actual numbers for fees, but
instead have discussed the functions to be performed and some estimate of
the workload  in terms of number and types of work requests (as opposed to
the resources needed to service them).

Consensus needs to form as to:
  1) The need for a registry (I think this is self-evident, but I'll put
     it down for completeness)
  2) The functions that registry will perform, including availability
     goals for public servers,
  3) An estimated workload of allocation requests, ASN requests, etc.

Once there is a consensus on these requirements, the means for carrying
them out can be examined.  There will be a set of fixed costs that must be
allocated over the expected number of direct customers (assuming that is
the only funding source), and there will be some set of variable costs that
varies with the workload.

If the services are accepted as needed, and it is agreed that it will cost
a certain amount to provide them, then those costs will have to be
distributed over the current and prospective customer base.  If those costs
are excessive for small ISPs, then either there needs to be a community
consensus that there is a non-economic reason to subsidize them (and there
may be), or, sadly, a certain amount of natural selection comes into play.
(I'd really like to play NFL quarterback, but I just don't have what it
takes...let's be honest...defensive back...gets to hit people).

But we now seemed locked in a battle over arbitrary numbers.  How can that
go anywhere?  Even if a new proposal changes the numbers, unless there is a
derivation of where the numbers came from, I see the flames continuing.

Howard Berkowitz