Membership Fee

Jerry Scharf scharf at vix.com
Mon Jan 20 17:03:22 EST 1997

> > My only concern at this point regarding the ARIN proposal (while we wait
> > for Kim, anyways) is why the membership fee has to be so high.  I'm an
> > individual who is quite interested in IP allocation issues and who would
> > very much like to use any vote I might get to ensure that allocations are
> > in the hands of people I feel appropriate.  However, as a high school
> > geekoid searching for enough cash to get into university, I don't really
> > have that ability, do I. :)
> >
> > I would prefer a model whereby ARIN membership could be expanded to
> > include those hobbyists who care about abstract number assignments.
> > While we aren't the ones likely to be multi-homed, the thought of an
> > organization this powerful solely in the hands of the companies who want
> > provider independant space doesn't sound appealing to me.
> >
> Very good point Billy....That is something that I am sure many folks out
> there would like to see (myself included)...
>
> Stephan R. May, Sr., Manager, Southeastern Online System Services
>                     http://www.sols.net       the_innkeeper at sols.net
> Proud member of the Association of Online Professionals Board of Directors
>                                         http://www.aop.org

I, for one, think this is totally unreasonable. The people actually getting
addresses from ARIN will probably be in the few hundred range. If thousands of
people are financially encouraged to be able to vote on the funding issues,
the people footing the bills loose their voice. I don't want to make this
sound like a club, but it is for the people who get services from ARIN, not
for steering allocation policies or fee structures by outside organizations.

We're not in a governemtnal situation here, there must be somre reflection of
the size of the players. IMO. I don't deserve the same size vote as MCI or
UUNet even if I get addresses from ARIN.

Jerry