ARIN Proposal

Brian Tackett cym at acrux.net
Mon Jan 20 13:56:01 EST 1997

On Mon, 20 Jan 1997, Marc Newman wrote:

> So shouldn't there be a corresponding drop in the cost of domain
> registration since that function will no longer be hosted by NSI and
> their costs will go down accordingly, or is this just another scam to
> skim profits off ISPs?

I don't think you understand this proposal as written. I would reccomend
reading it more closely. InterNIC will not cease to handle domain
registration. The stated intent of this proposal is....

1) To separate IP registry functionality from domain registry
   functionality

2) To provide funding for above mentioned IP registry services, as
   the current funding model is finite and will soon (relatively)
   cease to exist.

There are problems with the proposal, which are no doubt being worked on
in the impending version change of the ARIN proposal document. I would
suggest waiting until that document is released, reading it carefully, and
then and only then taking aim at what you perceive to be the primary
problems. That is what I intend to do, and it seems the most efficient way
:)