Good intent and somewhat competent

Kim Hubbard kimh at internic.net
Sun Jan 19 19:04:15 EST 1997

> > My understanding of the costs involved are in no way intimate
> >
> > Let's see. For starters, staff salaries, computers, networking equipment,
> > recurring monthly fees for connectivity & telecommunications, recurring
> > monthly fees for office space [lease], maintenance & development of
> > registry resources. This is just off the top of my head. I imagine it
> > could get expensive pretty quick.
> >
> > Also, let's not compare ARIN to fees for domain name registry services;
> > as has been stated on more than one occasion, these two issues must be
> > completely decoupled.
> >
> > - paul
> Paul I keep asking very pointed questions but do not get any answers.
> Give me a dollar amount per year for this service. Or do you wish to
> continue with general statements that mean nothing.  Do you not think
> that 96 million dollars a year is a bit much.  And if my calculations
> are right 96 million will be only a small amount compared to this
> proposal.

Your calculations are wrong.  For example, over the last year, the
InterNIC allocated space directly to about 300 ISPs - the average
size would fit in the medium range or $5,000.  *IF* each one of
these ISPs continue to receive address space from ARIN that would
make total revenues from ISPs $1.5M per year.  Because of the
policies and procedures, registration services to ISPs will make
up about 90% of all ARIN revenue.  If every one of those ISPs (which
I doubt) sign up for membership that would be an additional $300K
and another $100K per year for ASNs.  Total revenue for ARIN per
year is expected to be around $2M per year.

We estimate we're going to need a total of 14 operational staff
members to start ARIN to include registration personnel, technical
staff, business and administration - not to mention legal counsel.

We plan on posting a budget, however, not until it's finalized with
some specific numbers instead of the estimates we have now on things
like equipment, office space, membership meeting costs, etc.

If, by some chance, there is an influx of ISPs justifying address
space from ARIN (and willing to pay for registration services) and
the revenue exceeds the amount required to operate ARIN than the
membership, BoT and the Advisory Council will have every opportunity
to modify the fees and decide what to do with any excess.

- kim