Good intent and somewhat competent

Nathan Soward nsoward at sprynet.com
Sun Jan 19 14:34:57 EST 1997

Paul Ferguson wrote:

> At 11:07 AM 1/19/97 -0500, Nathan Soward wrote:
>
> >My point is why should it cost so much to belong?  Paul you seem to have
> >an understanding of the costs involved here.  Could you share with me
> >how much money would be generated per year at the proposed level and the
> >current number of addresses allocated.  Maybe I have nothing to talk
> >about.  At the current pricing for Name Service $100.00 X 80,000 (domain
> >names per month MSNBC) per month equals $8,000,000 per month times 12
> >months equal $96,000,000 per year how much money does it take to fund
> >one of these things?
> >

> My understanding of the costs involved are in no way intimate
>
> Let's see. For starters, staff salaries, computers, networking equipment,
> recurring monthly fees for connectivity & telecommunications, recurring
> monthly fees for office space [lease], maintenance & development of
> registry resources. This is just off the top of my head. I imagine it
> could get expensive pretty quick.
>
> Also, let's not compare ARIN to fees for domain name registry services;
> as has been stated on more than one occasion, these two issues must be
> completely decoupled.
>
> - paul
Paul I keep asking very pointed questions but do not get any answers.
Give me a dollar amount per year for this service. Or do you wish to
continue with general statements that mean nothing.  Do you not think
that 96 million dollars a year is a bit much.  And if my calculations
are right 96 million will be only a small amount compared to this
proposal.