Reject the NAIPR

Paul Ferguson pferguso at cisco.com
Sat Jan 18 21:28:17 EST 1997

At 09:15 PM 1/18/97 -0500, Tim Bass wrote:

>> >I beg to differ, in the end, the end-user will always lose, its a simple
>> >matter of economics. You raise my prices, I raise theirs, otherwise I
go out

>> Please -- enough with the conspiracy theories.
>>

>I read these posts and there is no one discussing conspiracy
>theories.  The poster pointed out the simple fact of
>economics that when any goods or service cost more,
>the cost is somehow passed on to the consumer.  If you
>cannot accept this idea, I'm happy to meet you at Border's
>Book Store and point you will a freshman college text
>on Basic Economic Theory.

Tim,

How convenient that you left out the portion of the original
exchange to which my 'conspiracy' reply was aimed:

>Welcome to the Corporate Government you wall read about in the Cyberpunk
>novles 10 years ago.

Now, with regards to 'Economics 101', I'd tend to not dismiss your
argument with gleeful abandon if we were actually discussing the
possibility of IP addresses being bought & sold on the open market,
but we're not talking about that at all. We're discussing how to
fund a not-for-profit registry through billing direct customers
for registration services  & how it is actually going to work.

Certainly there are certain laws of economics at work here, but
I do not believe there are some insidious, underlying penalties
that are going to starve off all small Internet service providers.

Of course there will be cost-recovery which is passed along
to the end-user and I believe that I said as much.

- paul