Sheesh

Paul Ferguson pferguso at cisco.com
Sat Jan 18 20:27:28 EST 1997

With regards to a larger, yet still finite, number space than what
IPv4 (2^32 host addresses) currently accommodates, this is at least
one of benefits of IPv6 (2^128), at least from the perspective which
you refer to below.

However, it is in everyone's best interest to be immediately concerned
with the IPv4 address allocation issues, rather than jumping to another,
altogether different, problem.

Also, I'm curious. Do people actually believe that if and/or when
we do begin the transition to IPv6 that we will not be faced with
the same issues? If we have a larger address space, do you think
that everything will simply be a free-for-all?

Sheesh is right.

Scalability seems to be a phrase that I've seen tossed around a lot
lately with very little evidence that anyone actually understands it.

- paul