How costs will trickle down (if ARIN goes through)

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Sat Jan 18 18:57:55 EST 1997

On Friday, January 17, 1997 11:07 AM, Michael Dillon[SMTP:michael at memra.com] wrote:
@ On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Jim Fleming wrote:
@
@ > @@@@@@@@   http://www.iahc.org/iahc-discuss/mail-archive/1666.html
@
@ Anybody who is REALLY interested in the details can check that message and
@ the other messages in the day or two before and after. The whole story
@ should become clear if you follow through the thread over a couple of
@ days. You don't have to take my word for it because the discussions are
@ all in the public domain.
@

Michael,

Why would anyone "take your word for it"...?

Here are your words...recently posted to this list...

        "One of the attendees at the above mentioned
        meeting placed a cheque in a sealed envelope
        and slipped it into a file with notes and other
        documents from the meeting. When it was revealed
        that this envelope containing a cheque existed the
        envelope was returned to the individual without ever being
        opened."

Below you admit that you were not at the meeting. Yet you have
consistently described this absurd story where someone takes
$1,000 and seals it into an envelope and "slips" it into a folder.
The implication is that the receiver, Bill Manning, did not know
it was there.

Where did you get this story...?

As noted here, people who *were* at the meeting have posted
in numerous places that not only did Bill Manning know it
was there, he supplied the envelope...!!!!

This story was reported in Boardwatch Magazine and on
other lists. The story of the participants has not changed.

@ >             If you were at the meeting, you would have seen Bill
@ > Manning, when asked if we could pay the $1000 to IANA, stand up, excuse
@ > himself from the room and come back with an envelope. He gave us the
@ > envelope and we put the check in it. He told us to seal the envelope and
@ > he would place it in file along with our application.
@
@ You will note that Chris Ambler and John Frangie, who make this claim,
@ are both from the same company. If you read through the whole thread to
@ get the context you will find a list of other participants at the meeting
@ and you will note that neither Jim Fleming nor myself was there. But one
@ other participant at the meeting *DID* comment on the events and his
@ comments do *NOT* agree with what John Frangie said above.
@

Both from the same company...so ?
Good...you note that you were not there...

Please substantiate your claims regarding the "other participant".
Are you speaking of Simon Higgs ? If so, his postings match the
events as John Frangie and Chris Ambler have described them.
And...Simon is not from the same company...

Are you lying by omission...?

By the way, I was not there, but there is much more to this
story that has never been published....an may never be...

@ Seems to me that Jim Fleming is once again lying by ommission and
@ dragging mud all over everything because he cannot get his own way.

Can not get my way about what...?

Please be more specific...your comments and omissions are noted...

@ And if you were to review the IAHC list (a voluminous task) you would see
@ that the people who Fleming has called as witnesses have made some
@ clearly incorrect statements on numerous occasions on that list. That is
@ why I cannot take the above statement by John Frangie seriously.
@
@
@ Michael Dillon                   -               Internet & ISP Consulting
@ Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
@ http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael at memra.com
@
@

For people that came to this list to discuss ARIN. I offer
the following...

1. The TLD discussions and the IAHC discussions have largely
the same issues as the ARIN discussions..
        control
        power
        money
        jealousy
        the haves
        the have nots
        etc.

2. I doubt of the ARIN list will be able to deal with these complex
issues any better than the numerous mailing lists for the past
two years. There are those people who have control and those
that do not, and the ones with control are not going to give it
up and therefore the growth of the Internet suffers. It is a real
shame, and I am sure that historians will look back at this era
and document the fact that some people asked for basic courtesy
and freedoms and the people in charge were not able to grant
those requests for fear of losing their monopoly power. These
are serious human rights violations, which are just as serious
as those in countries where people are deprived other basic
rights.

3. There are a few people on the Internet who seem to have
one agenda and one agenda only...that agenda is to defend the
IANA at all cost...I suggest that you watch them in action...

--
Jim Fleming
UNETY Systems, Inc.

e-mail: