Reject the NAIPR

Stephen Satchell satchell at accutek.com
Sat Jan 18 16:02:08 EST 1997

At 3:48 PM 1/18/97, Scott Bradner wrote:
>Simon,
>
>>  if I as a Class C license holder am charged or if my provider is charged,
>> the charges, or some percentage thereof, will flow to me and my customers
>
>If you got your addresses from your provider then the provider is charged
>and the pass on to you (if the provider decides to do so) will be your
>part of their charge - for example if your provider has 1000 ISP customers
>then your fee would be $20K/1K or $20 per year (if a very crude division
>were done) hardly worth the heat that seems to be showing up.

If providers were told that they HAD to do that, it would be another story.

As it is, the ARIN proposal sets the price of a Class C allocation at
$2500.  All price offering will start from there, not from the $20 you
suggest.  For a precedent, look at "port costs" and see how they haven't
changed much even with the drop in the cost of telecomm charges and
upstream port costs.

This is why I'm asking for a comprehensive rationale.

---
Stephen Satchell, Satchell Evaluations
<http://www.accutek.com/~satchell> for contact and other info