Rationale

Stephen Satchell satchell at accutek.com
Sat Jan 18 15:52:33 EST 1997

As a new member to the list, I am interested in locating a rationale for
the fee schedule as described in <http://www.arin.net/index.html> as of 18
Jan 1997.

As someone who has followed many of the discussions, I understand much of
the terminology, but for someone with other than a background in ARPAnet
that dates back to the '70s many of the descriptions are in a shorthand
which is almost impossible to understand.

Perhaps reverting to plain English would be an improvement -- I understand
there is to be a revision to this document and I await the presentation of
it.

I'm particularly interested in why the policy membership assessment is set
so high.  I'm a member of the Telecommunications Industry Association TR-30
as a consultant and my fees have historically been $300 per year -- and
that is to cover the cost of paper mailings of notices, ballots for draft
standards, and a small administration in Washington.  (Corporate fees for
the same organization are $10,000 per year for manufacturers.)

---
Stephen Satchell, Satchell Evaluations
<http://www.accutek.com/~satchell> for contact and other info