Your kidding right?

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Fri Jan 17 13:47:06 EST 1997

On Friday, January 17, 1997 5:00 AM, John LeRoy Crain[SMTP:John.Crain at ripe.net] wrote:
@  * On Thursday, January 16, 1997 1:42 AM, David R. Conrad[SMTP:davidc at apnic.net
@  *
@  * Can you explain what plans APNIC has to create additional
@  * registries to help manage those large spaces ?
@
@ RIPE NCC also has 3 * /8, 193/8 194/8 and 195/8 and when 195/8
@ is full we will need another one. Why would we then need another
@ registry to help us with this? I don't follow your logic.
@

In my opinion, the additional registries would be helping you to
allocate portions of the three /8 spaces that you have. If you
educate those registries, they may grow up to apply for their
own /8.

As far as obtaining another /8. I imagine that you have to get
at the end of the line and apply just like all of the other numerous
registries that will be requesting such an allocation.

I can not imagine that it will be easy to obtain a fourth /8
when the line is long and you already have three. Scarce
resources should be shared.

@ If a ISP has a /16 which is fully used for his infrastructure and
@ customers then they also come back for more address space, they don't
@ go and start another ISP.
@

Of course not, I am pointing out that some ISPs cultivate
the training and growth of other ISPs. They sell them bandwidth,
they help them with routers, they loan them IP addresses to get
started, etc.

Some ISPs grow to be as big or bigger than the ISPs that helped
to launch them. Some do not. Sometimes the "parent" ISP buys
its successful off-spring. Every combination has been seen.

If you separate registry services from being an ISP, you might
see that the registry services part of the business could be as
profitable or more profitable as the "modem part". This is similar
to airlines who discover that their on-line reservation systems
have more value than their planes and gates.

@  * Based on your experience with APNIC, do you think that
@  * ARIN should start with a /8 or just a /16 ?
@
@
@ Based on whats already been said here, you must have missed those
@ mails, ARIN will take over where InterNIC stops.
@

Oh really...has the National Science Foundation and
the U.S. Government approved that...?

Can you show me the public records where that decision
has been made ?

--
Jim Fleming
UNETY Systems, Inc.