Why split IP allocations from the Internic?

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Wed Feb 26 14:19:28 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

> 1)	I have not seen anything in the bylaws or operational rules that
> 	state that the initial BOT (who are appointed) will be required to
> 	either stand for election or step down after a short (say, one year)
> 	period of time.
>
> 	I think this needs to be addressed.  If you want to stagger initial
> 	terms, that's fine, but then let's have the NSI folks off the BOT
> 	first -- after the first 12 months.

I agree with Karl. This does need to be addressed. It is understandable
that the BoT does not want to come out with a firm set of bylaws until
they have had a chance to carefully examine all sides of the issue but I
think the proposal on the website needs to be turned into more of a
working document with some incremental updates based upon public
commentary. It's not that hard to do and it would provide a useful point
of focus for the discussions on this list.

> 3)	If this is a 501(c) organization then IRS forms have to be filed
> 	detailing revenue and expenses.  I'd like the bylaws to go further
> 	and mandate full disclosure and open books for the membership.

Can you think of another organization with a similar mandate that we could
look at to see just what this implies? In general, I would rather see ARIN
based on existing models as much as possible.

> 4)	Utilization requirements for additional space MUST be business-case
> 	neutral.

This sounds like something that should be discussed on PAGAN. I think that
it is far more important that utilization requirements be well documented
and publicly available on the web.

> Why do I ask for these things?  Because I want ARIN to be "watertight" when
> it comes to charges (which have already been made) that its biased, violating
> laws, etc.  Let's try to get that codified.
YES!

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049