ARIN Comments

Mr. Dana Hudes dhudes at graphnet.com
Thu Feb 27 09:52:33 EST 1997

IP address allocation cannot be done willy-nilly. You cannot discuss
allocation without considering routing . Aggregation is the name of
the game, or we will have monster route tables of 100K routes. Right
now, I am not aware of any vendor capable of handling more than 50K
routes. It may well be that the Routing Arbiter and Route Server, as
applications running on a Sun, could handle more by throwing more RAM
and disk into the system but regular routers have no virtual memory
and limited slots for physical RAM. The IETF solution to this looming
problem is CIDR as all should well know.

By using a hierarchical allocation policy we have some prayer of
aggregating announcements at the various NAPs/MAEs/IXPs. If customers
run around switching providers and not renumbering then holes start
to appear in the CIDR blocks. AT least by considering vague geography
by continent we have the more specific in, e.g., Europe, for European
routes which are aggregable in other continents.

Dana Hudes
Senior Network Engineer
Graphnet