Invisible Hands, was Re: Multihoming sites and ARIN

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Feb 21 17:25:19 EST 1997

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:51:49 EST, "John W. Stewart III" said:
> already has address space wants to sell, and i want to buy,
> then someone has to dip into the pool of unallocated space.
> in what way do competing registries do this? first-come-first-
> served?  that's fine if you divorce concern for the routing

Umm.. there *is* no "unallocated space".  If you go and ask WHOIS
about areas that are apparently unallocated, you'll find that
they're part of SOME space.  For instance, 'WHOIS 125' returns:

IANA (RESERVED-8)               Reserved                  96.0.0.0 - 126.0.0.0

I believe that there are 'IANA Reserved-NN' blocks that cover all unallocated
space in the 4-octet range.

Competing registries go and ask IANA to trim off a section of 'reserved'
and give it to them, so they can sub-divide it further.  You'd have to
ask somebody at IANA what *their* allocation policy is (probably something
on the order of "farm out a /7 or /8 to things that have enough political
and other support to be actual production registries" but don't quote me
on this ;)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Engineer