the "Internet's Vietnam"

Jim Browning jfbb at ATMNET.NET
Thu Feb 27 21:58:46 EST 1997

Jim,

You are (intentionally, I believe) disrupting legitimate work people are
trying to accomplish on this and other mailing lists by stealing mind-share
(processor cycles, if you will) to the extent that no one can do anything
but deal with your off-topic posts.  I and others have asked politely, both
publicly and privately, that you limit your posts to the topic the list was
established to address.  You refuse to do so.  This post can only be
considered SPAM, as it is a post that is just as inappropriate to this
forum as a commercial solicitation would be.

ATMnet will henceforth treat your organization as we would that of any
other SPAM spewer, by filtering traffic from addresses you are associated
with.
--
jfbb

----------
From:  Jim Fleming[SMTP:JimFleming at unety.net]
Sent:  Thursday, February 27, 1997 6:09 PM
To:  'naipr at arin.net'
Subject:  the "Internet's Vietnam"

Once again, it concerns me that some people may
be rather new to this process which began to gain
momentum in October of 1995, shortly after the
InterNIC started charging and people realized that
it was not a hoax, or joke.

You are all watching over 16 months, of almost full-time
work for some people, come to a very peaceful ending.

Please try to put that in context as you draw your
conclusions. Please try to be nice.

If there are any winners in this, they are the people
of the Internet that do not know this work is being
done, to make their lives better. Some day people
might look back and review the documents and
the full history. It has been a human drama that
should probably not be repeated.

As someone said, it is the "Internet's Vietnam".
People felt they had to destroy villages to save
them. For some it did not make sense, for others
it did. The only good that remains, is...it is over.

It is both a sad drama and a happy drama because,
in the end, people's ability to let common sense
triumph over "petty" control issues took too long.

Thanks for your time...

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation