Recommended Reading

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Thu Feb 27 19:30:34 EST 1997

On Thursday, February 27, 1997 4:44 PM, Stan Barber[SMTP:sob at ACADEM.COM] wrote:
@ Can you give a specific url at AlterNIC that has the reading list
@ that is specifically relevant to IP address registration and allocation
@ procedures that you mentioned in your recent mail? I am not able to locate it
@ on their site, but I may not be looking in the right place.
@
@ --
@ Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
@ Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
@ Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.
@
@

The AlterNIC has mostly been focused on domain name issues.
I consider that Stage 1. Domain names are easier because there
was a ready market and more people identify with names.

Now that ARIN has helped to establish some $$$$ amounts
for IP addresses there is a stake in the ground. The various
registries that are developing all over the country now have
their operations more worked out so they can start thinking
about IP registration issues.

In my opinion, it will be easier (and safer) to add IP allocation
registry functions to these new viable and healthy businesses
than to try to breath life into one activity and to keep trying
to make sure it does not fail.

The eDNS meeting being planned in Atlanta has an item
on the agenda for ARIN. I am sure people involved in the
NEW domain registries will express their views there.

=====

Not all URLs have to be IP only...

Here are a few that ARIN readers should know cold...

http://www.alternic.net/domains/resources/
http://www.alternic.net/others.html
http://www.alternic.net/press/

Also, the ARIN site should probably reference

http://www.wia.org

Especially the IANA part...

=====

--