ARIN Comments

Karl Denninger karl at MCS.NET
Thu Feb 27 10:28:25 EST 1997

> IP address allocation cannot be done willy-nilly. You cannot discuss
> allocation without considering routing . Aggregation is the name of
> the game, or we will have monster route tables of 100K routes. Right
> now, I am not aware of any vendor capable of handling more than 50K
> routes.

Really?  We have 44,934 network entries in our core right now from external
sources.  We also have used only about half of our 64M of RAM in our core
CISCO hardware.  The majority of that hardware can double that if necessary,
to 128M.

The ASCEND GRF400 can handle 150,000 routes with zero flap considerations.

> and disk into the system but regular routers have no virtual memory
> and limited slots for physical RAM. The IETF solution to this looming
> problem is CIDR as all should well know.

See above, then please come back and explain the discrepancy.

> By using a hierarchical allocation policy we have some prayer of
> aggregating announcements at the various NAPs/MAEs/IXPs. If customers
> run around switching providers and not renumbering then holes start
> to appear in the CIDR blocks. AT least by considering vague geography
> by continent we have the more specific in, e.g., Europe, for European
> routes which are aggregable in other continents.
>
> Dana Hudes
> Senior Network Engineer
> Graphnet

Yep.  And by June there will be at least one other major hardware player
which we all know and love with an ASCEND GRF400-style device that also can
handle much larger tables and flap rates.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info at mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal