Multihoming sites and ARIN

Kim Hubbard kimh at internic.net
Thu Feb 20 09:38:33 EST 1997

> On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, David R. Conrad wrote:
>
> > Scott,
> >
> > While they can buy and sell address space, current registry practices
> > disallow update of the registry databases for address space that does
> > not change hands via the registries.
>
> In the InterNic case you can change whois info by sending a swip update ?
> Also if you dont care about whois info, routing will work.
>
> vab..

Vab,

Yes, you can update your previously allocated blocks via SWIP but
this is not what we're talking about.  If you go out and purchase a Class
C you cannot send in a SWIP template to update the network record.

Secondly, I would hope that most, if not all, ISPs are checking WHOIS to verify
the address space actually belongs to their customer before they route it.

Kim