ARIN: Questions & Comments

Alan Barrett apb at IAFRICA.COM
Sat Feb 22 03:27:25 EST 1997

Stephen Satchell <satchell at ACCUTEK.COM> said:
> If you dump ARIN having to maintain IN-ADDR.ARPA, the need to get
> heavy-duty computers and connections goes away -- the only significant
> net activity would be applications and database look-ups.

Don't conflate maintaining the master copies of the relevant databases
with operating the servers that answer the world's queries against the
databases.  Maintaining the relevant parts of the in-addr.arpa zone is a
highly desirable (I am strongly tempted to say "necessary") part of an IP
registry's work, whereas having the bandwidth and computrons to answer the
world's DNS lookups can easily be farmed out to nameservers elsewhere.

--apb (Alan Barrett)