Multihoming sites and ARIN

Stephen Satchell satchell at accutek.com
Fri Feb 21 13:10:45 EST 1997

At 7:54 AM -0800 2/21/97, Scott Huddle wrote:
>Observation 5,
>
>The creation of markets for IP space and routing slots obviates
>the need for ARIN as a policy body for allocation (i.e.,
>the market does the allocation), further with a true market
>we can now have competing registries for IP space -- similar
>to the IAHC results, registries do registry work, rather
>than attempt to regulate market forces.

At least you see the need for a bookkeeper for IP addresses.  I was always
under the impression, even from Kim's first version, that ARIN would *not*
be a policy body for IP allocation.  In one respect, the market has already
dictated allocation policy:  that many companies would *not* route any
prefix longer than a /19.

>Observation 6,
>
>With the removal of allocation policy issues, ARIN becomes
>a lot less controversial, and the costs of lawyers goes
>way down :)

It took a month, but thanks for agreeing with my original position that a
registry doesn't need super-high-power talent to dole out numbers.

---
Stephen Satchell, {Motorola ISG, Satchell Evaluations}
<http://www.accutek.com/~satchell> for contact and other info
Opinions stated here are my PERSONAL opinions.