LET'S JUST GO AROUND

Alan Barrett apb at IAFRICA.COM
Thu Feb 6 10:15:37 EST 1997

> > I don't think that would be sensible.  If you're not big enough to qualify
> > for a /19 then you should get a longer prefix.  If you have trouble
> > getting that routed, perhaps you are not paying enough to the providers
> > that you want to carry your route.
>
> You have just described a textbook violation of anti-trust law.

The registry is entrusted with the task of ensuring that address space is
not wasted, and they would not be violating that trust.  The registry has
nothing to do with the prices that providers charge to carry anybody's
route announcements.

If the USA has laws against registries doing their job properly, then that
should be fixed.  I am not a lawyer, I don't live in the USA, I don't know
whether the USA's anti-trust laws could be used to prevent a registry from
doing its job properly.

--apb (Alan Barrett)