LET'S JUST GO AROUND

Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU
Wed Feb 5 13:14:16 EST 1997

On Wed, 05 Feb 1997 12:54:15 EST, David Schwartz said:

> 	What am I missing here? It's not ARIN's fault that Sprint or AGIS
> or whoever won't route your block, is it? If WIZnet decided to start
> filtering at /16, should ARIN give everyone who multihomes a /16? What if
> I decide to start filtering at /8?

What you're missing is that currently, much of the core routing
filters at /19.  Therefore, if you dont have at least a /19, you can't
effectively multihome. I do not expect to see that "magic number" change
drastically - if an ISP starts filtering at /17 or higher, they will cut
off enough of the net that their own customers will start leaving for
someplace they *can* get connectivity to other sites, and going to /21 or
lower is just asking for router meltdown on your part.  But right now,
there seems to be common consensus that /19 is "the magic number".

Given that ARIN will be presumably composed many of the same people
who currently manage the core routing, if ARIN makes it effectivly
impossible to get a /19, this would look suspiciously like collusion
among the big players to prevent your entry into the game.

And that's a no-no.  If a lawer decides that the RICO statutes apply,
you're looking at triple punitive damages and all that.

RFC2050, section 2.1, says an ISP *can* ask for a global prefix if they
are multi-homed.

RFC2050, section 3.1, says the following conditions should be met:

                25% immediate utilization rate
                50% utilization  rate within 1 year

and also "A prefix longer than /24 *may* be issued if deemed appropriate".
(emphasis mine).  All we need to do to resolve this is for somebody
to state the policy *will* deem qualifying under section 2.1 to be
appropriate, even if you don't meet the 25%/50% rule.

I have *no* problem with ARIN applying additional technical criteria for
such an exemption (such as requiring copies of PO's for routers and
redundant links, and proof of employment of a full-time router wizard),
as long as they are in line with "reasonable and customary" requirements
to sucessfully multihome.

Would anybody at ARIN like to go out on a limb and say "Yes we'll do it",
or "yes we'll consider this" or "no way"? ;)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Engineer