LET'S JUST GO AROUND IN C

Jeremiah Kristal jeremiah at CORP.IDT.NET
Mon Feb 3 09:51:51 EST 1997

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Jeff Binkley wrote:

> Which brings us back to the whole purpose/benefit of this proposal.  Why
> should they be forced to pay for something they don't have to pay for
> today, only to have no/limited perceived benefit ?  This whole thing
> reminds me of the government trying to levy taxes.  I've watched much of
> the discussion going on here and many of the supporters tend not to be
> ISPs or folks who would be directly finacnially impacted by this
> proposal.  From my unofficial counting the supporters tend to be:  NSI,
> hardware vendors, academic affiliated individuals and a few other
> interested parties.  The opposition/concered parties tend mostly to be
> the ISPs and network providers.  This is akin to the "not in my
> backyard" syndrome of where to build prisons and the like.  We all agree
> they are needed but don't build them next to where I live.  With ARIN is
> seems we agree there needs to be some control over address space (albeit
> we would probably disagree on how much control and what the real purpose
> of the control was for) but the supports are saying make the ISPs pay
> for it, while the ISPs are saying wait a minute.  They weren't even the
> ones asking for it from what I can see.  Paul's point is there will even
> be limietd benefit for them, even if they go along with it.  So why
> should they start coughing up money for something which has this little
> potential for them ?

I think you are confusing the ISPs who *will* pay the fees, and the
downstream ISPs who will bear only the incremental costs.  I feel fairly
confident that the concensus among ISPs who do get address space directly
from InterNIC now is that ARIN is a good idea.  I'm sorry if the small
ISPs and BBSs don't understand all the issues, but to hold up the proposal
because the downstream ISPs won't take the time to educate themselves is
akin to GM holding up the development of a new engine because the average
shade-tree mechanic doesn't understand the computer controls of the
current engine.
I will state that I work for an ISP, we get our IP allocations from
InterNIC presently, and we support the general idea of the ARIN proposal,
even if there are some minor details we would like cleaned up.  If the
medium to large ISPs were opposed to this, I think you would see evidence
of it here.  Hell, even mcs.net agrees with parts of it.  :)  (No offense
Karl).

Jeremiah

      ________
      \______/			Jeremiah Kristal