ARIN BoT

Dave McClure aop at cris.com
Sun Feb 2 14:15:42 EST 1997

Karl, the integrity and service of the proposed BoT members is not the issue, in my mind.  The issue isn't even who chose them and why.

The issue is that they have been proposed without input from the people within the Internet community they would seek to serve, and without building support from within that community.

It's a chicken-and-egg problem.  We must have an initial BoT to get ARIN organized, but we also need to allow the Internet community to have a voice in their selection.

Solution:  Have the initial BoT serve for only one year to get the organization up and running, and then resign.  This initial BoT would not be "grandfathered", but would have the right to run for BoT positions (with the advantage that they will have proven their abilities as trustees).  This simple change could eliminate the entire "who are these people and who picked them" discussion.

Dave McClure