AOP Notification

Dave McClure aop at cris.com
Sun Feb 2 14:50:33 EST 1997

Kim:

Taking Donald Telage out of this equation as a person, I have two questions about the NSI/ARIN relationship.  (I'm focusing on the process used to create ARIN rather than the people involved).

1)  Why is NSI funding ARIN?  First, let me point out that if ARIN moves immediately to implement its fee structure, cash flow will be of less concern than the structure and integrity of the organization.  And it seems to me that it is very awkward for a single private company to hold such primary financial power over ARIN.

2)  My understanding is that by its contract NSI has turned over to NSF 30 percent of the funds raised by the domain name registry fees, and that this fund is currently about $12 million (and will be much more than that, once NSI begins to collect the fees that it has not collected to date).  This NSF fund is purported to be money to be used for the good of the Internet, and according to the Washington Post there is some confusion as to how best use these funds.  Why do we not apply to NSF that some or all of these funds be used to help start ARIN?  This would eliminate the NSI/ARIN financial ties, and could likewise be used to reduce or eliminate the steep dues ARIN is proposed to charge.

Dave McClure