Revised ARIN Proposal

Karl Denninger karl at MCS.NET
Tue Dec 31 20:44:16 EST 1996

> Subject: Revised ARIN Proposal
> To: naipr at INTERNIC.NET
> Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 15:18:37 -0500 (EST)
> Sender: owner-naipr at LISTS.INTERNIC.NET
>
> The revised ARIN proposal has been posted.  You can find it at www.arin.net.
>
> We have moved the naipr mailing list to arin.net also.
>
> The next step will be to post ARIN's proposed budget.  I'm not exactly
> sure when this will be - hopefully within a couple of weeks.
>
> The ARIN website also contains a faq and a list of the proposed Board
> of Trustees along with a recommended reading list.  If you would like
> to see other information posted or other questions added to the faq,
> please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kim Hubbard

As promised, I have reserved commentary on this for a while.... until I
could go through all the documentation and such, and let it sink in for a
while.

I am still concerned about BOD perpetuation and ultimate authority under the
bylaws, but until the bylaws are published I don't know if this is a serious
problem or paranoia :-)

I am also concerned about any kind of cross-pollination between the BOD,
Advisory Committee, membership and those who are paid to execute the
policies of ARIN.  I'd prefer to see absolute separation there to prevent
any conflicts of interest, but again, I can understand why perhaps it might
not, at least initially, be possible to do this completely.

Bluntly, the general charter and operation of ARIN looks pretty much ok
from here.  I don't consider the membership fees to be out-of-line.  I am
concerned about the unspecified "maintenance" fees, especially for ASNs and
pre-existing allocations however -- I'd like to see that fleshed out.

I am still greatly concerned about the whole "PI" .vs. "PD" space issues,
but those aren't really on-topic here...

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info at mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal