[dbwg] WHOIS Modification - Part 1 of 2 (fwd)

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Sun Nov 24 06:33:21 EST 2002

I suspect that primary reason for putting city, state, zip code data into
one line is to save space and not have to provide too many lines in the
output and probably same was the reason for taking address out of default
whois output and there is no particular reason that ARIN has to make it
"difficult" to parse data. In fact if anything arin would probably try
the opposite (anybody from ARIN care to comment here?).

And as for people/companies getting the data for marketing purposes, I can
assure you that separate query would in no way stop them and if anything
they actually like address data in one line/field - most really do not
care about particular city/state, they just want entire address for
whatever mailing they are going to do.

As for AUP, why not do it? Its not too difficult and provides at least
some "verbal" protection to make sure "honest" companies to not abuse
data. As for it not being easily enforcable, this may change in the
future and if somebody really bad is found to be abusing the data, some
civil action maybe taken by ARIN. The reasons for doing it are somewhat
similar to domain registries and as you're aware all registrars in
.com/.net/.org and most country regisrars have AUP. This should really be
separate discussion on the mailing list and not part whois modification
proposal and unless I see any serious comments on this list why AUP
somewhat similar to what is done for bulk whois output (including 2002-4)
should not be made a general AUP on arin whois data (with one-line url
reference to it from arin whois output), I'll introduce this as
discussion and policy some time later on.

William Leibzon
william at elan.net