[dbwg] WHOIS Modification - Part 1 of 2

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Fri Nov 22 14:38:01 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, geoffrey camps wrote:

> I find it odd that ARIN requests templates using different data fields than
> they actually use when displaying the records in WHOIS.
>
> We're required to submit to ARIN (template example):
> 5a. Customer Address: 2304 - 2nd Ave
> 6. Customer City: Seattle
> 7. Customer State/Province: WA
> 8. Customer Postal Code: 98121

The primary reason we do not display each field separately is to conserve
space. This may not be an issue when querying an org or poc, but if we
provide the full address for networks where there is already a long
display, the output will on average, be 4-5 lines longer. Also, there are
many records that have NULL city, state/province and postal codes, so
there is the possibility these fields would be blank.

> ***with my additional suggestion the City/Region line would further be
> modified to:
>
> City/Region: Toronto, Ont, M7A 1L2

Currently, there are about 400 orgs with commas in their city. There are
about 600 POCs with the same problem. Most (if not all) are errors. Using
a comma will cause parsing problems until these are cleaned up. Going
forward, commas are currently valid characters for these fields. It would
not take much for us to change this, just pointing out that it would need
to be done. The other possibility it to use a different delimiter.

Ginny