RWHOIS Update

Linda linda at sat-tel.com
Tue Oct 2 08:37:58 EDT 2001

Good Morning Teddy,

> > My questions to the community are:
> >
> > 1. Is RWHOIS an option for your company to replace SWIP?

The question listed above was a question given to the community by Ginny Listman.
RWHOIS is not an option for our company to replace SWIP.  We use Shared WHOIS
Project (SWIP) to submit IP space reassignment information to the WHOIS database.
We do not plan on establishing a Referral WHOIS (RWHOIS) server.  The information
listed below is an excerpt from the swipinstructions.txt which can be found on the
ARIN web site.  ftp://ftp.arin.net/pub/swip/swipinstruction.txt

Please let me know if this does not clarify what I meant by  my prior statement.

SWIP is the process that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) use to submit customer
IP space reassignment information to the WHOIS database.

ISPs that receive CIDR blocks of IP addresses from ARIN either directly or
indirectly (as a downstream customer of another ISP) MUST select either SWIP or
RWHOIS to provide reassignment information to ARIN.

SWIP automates the IP address space assignment process.  ISPs use SWIP
templates to submit reassignment to ARIN via E-mail.

Regards,
Linda