Enforcing ISO-3166-1

David R Huberman huberman at gblx.net
Wed Feb 21 18:13:45 EST 2001

(Apologies, I haven't seen the rest of my inbox yet)

> The database would accept and process only the country in either the
> two or three character code, or the full name. This change would mean
> enforcing ISO 3166 by accepting USA, GB or Brazil, but not accepting
> U.S.A., UK, or Brasil. An alternate proposal suggests that ARIN
> anticipate common mistakes such as embedded punctuation, misspellings
> and incorrect codes.

The alternate proposal is, of course, the way to go about it in my
opinion. Country codes should be mandatory in the ARIN WHOIS database.
ISO-3166 compliancy, while nice, is only practical for newcomers to ARIN
if there is at least 'basic' flexibility.

Go for it

/david

| Global Crossing IP Engineering |
| Manager, Global IP Addressing  |